Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Hotel Rwanda

The point of filming Hotel Rwanda was to show how much people are suffering due to genocides happening around the world. The movie categorizes into the good side being the minority and the bad side being the majority. As the Tutsis are minority, the movie portrayes a situation of the Hutus brutally attacking the Tutsis. Thousands and thousands of Tutsis die, and run for their lives. There are Tutsi refugees all over the country, and the Hutus do what ever to kill and evacuate all the Tutsis. The scenes of this movie are alarming with images that have dead bodies covering the country. By watching these scenes, it allows people to understand the level of seriousness of people being tormented due to different ethnic backgrounds. Really, these people are of the same race, just with different beliefs. Due to the difference they have, the two have gone as far as killing one another. It’s rather ridiculous to see people killing one another. After all, we are all equally made.
By watching the movie, I’ve realized how blessed I am. While watching scenes of the Tutsis being killed, running away from the gunshots, hiding from the Hutu slayers, I imaged what it would be like if I was one of those Tutsis. Even thinking gave me the shivers. Then checking back to the reality, I was in the safest place around the Earth. I recognized whatever I was before life, it must’ve been something good; good enough to make me so fortunate. I’ve also learned how careless I was of the world that I didn’t even know how chaotic the other side of the world was. I would see the chases of child trafficking, poverty, and genocides. Then, I would go back to eating my dinner, just thinking that there’s nothing I can do to change the world. Though, the movie made me rethink that even small help can grow into big things and affect the world. Nothing in the movie had anything about small help. Those who were helping the Tutsis were remarkably brave,making big differences. It just made me think how foolish I was just watching, but not acting. Thus, I’ve decided to believe that even small help will grow into something big. I would get more involved in global programs that help those who are suffering around the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice reflection. I agree with a lot of ideas you wrote. But I feel all is pointless, especially all the involvement in activities that are anti-war whatever international stuff because the world leaders have crap in their heads and do nothing but pointless stuff. Us criticizing them isn't going to affect them very much. Look at George W. Bush. He's playing G.I.Joe with American soldiers in Iraq.