Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The poem is being told from a man visiting his mother. The man is fairly old judging by his ninety-three-year-old mother. Being a daughter myself, I’ve found it easy to emotionally relate to the texts. He, being wise enough to take care of his mother, “performs caretaker tasks”. He cleans the house and he washes his mother’s hair. Meanwhile, he notices how old and breathless his mother is with her “shallow breaths”. When he starts washing her hair, he sees how fragile her scalp is. He wishes he can take back all the years life has taken away from her. My favorite line is in the last stanza, “He senses what it was to be one with her, a babe in her womb,” I found him understanding how she might’ve felt when he was still in her womb. As helpless as she is, he wants to take care of her. Though, he realizes that it won’t be long until her death. The last two lines from the poem prove the point. He knows her final going and will be a heartbreaking moment for him. I’m sure I will feel the same way when I see my parents grow old. I will crave for the times I’ve depended on my parents, seeing them so vulnerable.

1 comment:

Ms. Lillo said...

Wow, talk about a sad poem. The last few lines are just so depresseing! But poignant. Perhaps, like you, my own parents fill my mind as I read this poem.

Good thoughts, Jean. Keep up the good work.