Saturday, January 19, 2008

Spring Love

The black smoke rises from the pan,
you smile and whisper that I will make a good wife.
Scrambled eggs with thousand island dressing
and oven-baken tortillas from the grocery.
You wince and eat the food all the same.
I don't mind you not liking breakfast

but that's all I have. Please leave soon-
your fiancee may wonder at
the sudden sweetness of your smile.

Your belly's a beer barrel's paradise- warmth in the cold night.
Your skin shines like moonlight and breath- the beat of my heart.
I notice a little mole under your armpit and
you try to peer with all your might. I laugh.
You shimmer among a million scattered dreams
and the haze arrives as you hold me in your arms.

I know there will never be another man like you.
And you, with a serious look, tell me I am your only Spring-
beauty with eyes of a doe and smiles of butterflies.
I worry about her but you just hold me in your arms.
For now, hush,
let the Spring be savored and our woes be gone-
two souls in a field of tulips and the smell of cut grass.
Sophie Leu



3 comments:

jeankwon said...

The poet seems as if she’s trying to describe a situation where two young couple has just got married. Obviously, as I haven’t been married before, I can’t get the full image of this poem. Instead, with some imagery from the poet, I see how intensely these young lovers are in love to one another. The poem is written as first point of view where the narrator is a woman who just got married. The first two lines explain how the man is madly in love with the woman that he’s rather optimistic about all her mess as a house wife. Throughout the poem, it’s all about two lovers just blinded by love; they see mole under one’s armpit and laugh. The point that stood out the most was the last paragraph. In a way, their eye’s say that they love each other. Though, the woman worries if she’ll live up to the woman which the man is imaging of. He just holds her in his arms. This is basically saying that no matter what she is, he’ll love. Since love is such a divine thing when two are in love, the poem consists of bright and beautiful descriptions. Though, for those who have been broken, love is just a dreadful matter. Apparently, the two who are in love in this poem has no way of reminding themselves that love can be bitter.

Christina Lee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christina Lee said...

the poem is just lovely~ I thought poems were just boring where they describe the scenery of a country side. But this poem shows the true love between two young people and I like it~